Social media marketing is increasingly becoming a more important part of an SEO – link building campaign. Social bookmarking is one component of social media and it makes it possible for users to join interesting communities and have interactive conversations. Social bookmarking sites make it easier to find relevant information by making it possible to share and search web pages that others in a community have already found useful, entertaining or interesting, and then bookmarked. They are also a convenient way for you to access your saved bookmarks from any computer anywhere. Before joining a social bookmarking site you will need to determine what you want to accomplish and then research several of social bookmarking sites available. To receive the most benefit from the different sites make a list of questions and features you need, while focusing on your desired results. This can make the social bookmarking research less daunting.
A few of the more popular social bookmarking sites you can use to promote your website are MyBlogLog owned by Yahoo, Digg.com, Kaboodle, Shpinn, Del.icio.us, Stumbleupon, Twitter, and Furl. A few of the lesser known are Claim ID and Open ID, Zimbio, business-planet.net, Blurpalicious, and Veryhotlinks. When using these sites a few simple things to keep in mind so that you do not get banned are:
- Be authentic – join the communities you are genuinely interested in. Make acquaintances you can relate to and give back to the community by submitting others content and giving them credit.
- Follow each social network’s rules – Don’t abuse the sites or try to work around them. Your time and efforts will have better results than the “quick in and out”.
- Submit your most unique and relevant content page of your website. Others want to be informed, entertained or helped.
- No matter how tempting it is, don’t spam (self explanatory!)
- Don’t try to manage too many social media tools- this can give poor quality to your posts, comments, etc. Pick a few, and stick with them.
Remember that the whole reason for doing social media is to be involved. The more involved you are away from your website, the more people will come to know you and possibly what you have to offer. You slowly build credibility with everyone around you all the while building traffic and brand awareness.
Submitting to social bookmarking sites can be extremely effective for your link building campaign. It helps you to develop quality back links to your site while also driving relevant traffic. It can be very time consuming if you let it, but also enjoyable if you find sites that interest you. At the end it always seems to be well worth the effort.